Subject: Re: Fastest computer 21164A
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 06:20:08 -0800

Scott,

First, concerning your comment regarding Carrera clocking up 300Mhz 21164
to 366Mhz is absolutely inaccurate.  Also, your comment concerning Carrera
misleading Lightwave users is false.  You are merely selecting tidbits and
attempting to discredit Carrera's reputation, which we will not allow you 
to do.

Second, we received clarification from Digital concerning 21164 and 21164A
microprocessors.  According to Digital, the "A" suffix is being dropped.  In
other words, the 21164 consist of a 3.3V/5V which operates from 266Mhz to 366Mhz
and possibly faster.  The 21164 has a class of chips that operate at 2V/3.3V
running at 366Mhz to 433Mhz and possibly faster.  MERELY PLUGGING IN A 2V
PART INTO A 3.3V/5V SOCKET WILL CAUSE BAD THINGS.  One pin is expecting
ground and receiving power.  The 2V version of the 21164 has some new
features.  One is synchronus cache support.  However, you can design this
in or use existing asynchronus cache, if you choose.

As far as the 21164 goes, it is a great chip!  If you are interested in making
this a 8's is bigger than your 8's, we're not interested.  We have more important
things to do. Hey, if you want to sell systems at 266,300,333,366, or whatever,
knock yourself out.  We have customers who want similar clock speeds with modular
cache and a 256-bit datapath. . .great and thank you.  Meanwhile, we stand behind what we market.

-Bruce Faust
Founder, Carrera Computers